Thursday, May 8, 2014

Strange Journeys in Criticism


                          



Journalism is filled with grey space. It’s hard to turn out a story that is truly black or white. Wade into the world of entertainment journalism and things get even murkier. For my work I am, on a near weekly basis, sent free music, receive free tickets to concerts, and am allowed to watch/listen to content that hasn’t be released to the general public. This makes skirting the line between Public Relations and Criticism hard. It would be so easy to shower praise on the artists who give me free things so I can keep getting free things and start positive (if unethical) connections. I’m sure it’s the same way for movie and game critics, but the Music Journalism world (and my own world) recently had an event that blurred the line between PR and criticism. A trio of prominent musicians attacked Complex Magazine over perceived “spineless” writing and in my own, infinitely less important, experience a rapper tried to set lines between fan and critic.

To Complex first. Last year the New York based zine featured Australian rapper Iggy Azalea on their cover. A few weeks ago they reviewed her debut album, giving it a mediocre score. Azalea didn’t directly go after them; instead Lorde went to her tumblr and said this:

“bugs me how publications like complex will profile interesting artists in order to sell copies/get clicks and then shit on their records? it happens to me all the time- pitchfork and that ilk being like “can we interview you?” after totally taking the piss out of me in a review. have a stance on an artist and stick to it. don’t act like you respect them then throw them under the bus.”

Azalea bolstered Lorde’s post with these tweets:


To round out the trio, Grimes also agreed with Lorde’s and Azalea’s sentiments.

And now to my own life. Last month I reviewed Cunninlyguists’ Strange Journey Volume 3. I thought it was a decent release and gave it a 3/5. I called it uneven, but I also said that some of the songs were among the best released in 2014. Hours later Cunninlyguists producer Kno went on a twitter rant against me and my publication. He first informed me that Strange Journey wasn’t an album, but a mixtape, so I had reviewed it incorrectly (I won’t get into the semantics of what is a mixtape and what isn’t, but he was selling it for money and it’s listed as an album under rateyourmusic.com so I stand by my review). It soon became clear that he was angrier about the review itself rather than the mixtape argument.


So what do we take away from this? Complex did its own excellent response to Lorde and Azalea by saying this:

“Lorde declaring “have a stance on an artist and stick to it” is a bizarre notion for an organization like Complex, which is to say bizarre for any media organization that claims to have any journalistic integrity. No one should stick to their opinion when new facts (possibly in the form of new music) are made available that can alter your views. Art and artistry are fluid things.”

In Lorde’s defense I have seen publications, most notably Rolling Stone, run a cover of an artist and then trash their work in the same issue. To me that seems cheap, but Complex sums up a different issue often seen in politics. No one likes a flip-flopper, even if there are valid reasons behind personal views changing. The time between Azalea’s cover photo and review was around eight months. In the cosmic sense that’s a short time, but for journalists it might as well be an eon. Tweets, videos, and entire albums come out in the meantime and our constant searching for new information leads to new opinions. To quote The Guess Who “Seasons changed and so have I.” If my musical tastes hadn’t changed I’d still be listening to Aaron Carter and the Ba-ha men because I liked them when I was five (but my deep appreciation of Weird Al from that time period still stands). Kno, rather ironically, went after Lorde, Azalea, and Grimes with these tweets:


Despite this, Kno has a similar fallacy; you can’t be a critic if you’re a fan. I find this laughable as every music journalist/critic I’ve met has gotten into the business because they are fans. Some artist galvanized them to pick up a pen and write (or turn on the computer and type). I am a fan of Cunninlynguists and I continue to be a fan. A week before my review of the new album I saw them live and gave a glowing concert recap over at Deadendhiphop, but because I wasn’t keen on one thing they did (in a massive catalog) I’m no longer a fan. I’m the enemy. Artists like Kno, Lorde, and other seem to want a neutered version of the music press that acts like a PR team. For Lorde, if you ask her for an interview you’d better give her a good review afterwards. For Kno, fans’ can’t have changing opinions. There wouldn’t be a point then. Every album would be a 10/10 and artists would stay in the same lane, never changing, because there’s no one there to point out flaws.





No comments:

Post a Comment