Saturday, May 10, 2014

Objectively Perfect 1: Lillycove City

          


I can’t quite explain why I enjoy waltzes so much. I grew up classical music, but I listened and sang to it so often that I soon became tired of chamber ornamentation and for years wouldn’t touch the genre. But in the same way Fleetwood Mac came back into my collection so did classical music. Those early, formative years were so steeped in “The Chain” and “Ave Maria” that somewhere in the reptile part of my brain they’ve become fused to my enjoyment of music. It’s the waltz, in particular though, that I hold an affinity for. It’s so simple at its base, but the bouncy form and light stride are soothing.


As I was getting back into classical music I discovered that many of my favorite video game soundtracks held songs indebted to European composers. I first noticed it with the stunning Mario Galaxy score and I worked my way backwards until I was at the games that enthralled me as a child; the Pokémon series. I played all of them from Crystal onward a truly mindboggling amount, but the one game cartridge that still holds my heart is Pokémon Emerald. Even as I’ve grown and moved away from video games it stands as a touchstone in my nostalgic galleries. This was, in part, due to the music. I didn’t truly notice it at the time, and I certainly didn’t examine the score under close scrutiny, but those bit-compositions were wonderful. One song was better than the rest. One song had such a strong stake in my childhood that I jumped with joy when I found a fully orchestrated version. “Lillycove City” is, and continues to be, one of the best songs ever placed into a video game. The waltz has all the trademarks of a grand ¾ track. It bounces along with a spirited, yet calm, energy and the main melody line has a great habit of sneaking into my mind, making me hum along. But it’s the small immaculately crafted touches on the sides of that main melody that cement this track as flawless. The airy accordion in the back ground floats effortlessly along with the swaying string section, and the composer was obviously had a flexible mind. The track elegantly flows from staccato lines that give plucked violins the spotlight only seconds before languid legato sections sweep in carrying the song away to its climax. At its base the song seems infused with a smile inducing energy that reminds me of Miyazaki films as much as it does European ball rooms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment