Thursday, February 20, 2014

Benji- Sun Kil Moon Album Review

   



I ran into a friend of mine a few weeks back as he was eating his lunch. We talked for a bit before I asked why he had missed our weekly hangout the previous Friday. Turns out he had headed back to the small town where he lived the summer before college started. While me and the rest of the guys were eating oreos and playing Magic he had attended his first funeral.

 “Guess I have to get used to it.”

“Yeah, we are at that age,” I replied.

I felt shocked when those words exited my mouth. That same sentence had been spoken by my dad a few months before. He was discussing his mother’s failing health and how his father had died of a stroke a few years before. He was also trying to console me at the time; my grandmother on my mom’s side was losing all her memories to a butterfly tumor that was engulfing her brain. My dad and I were both at those ages. The ages when his parents and uncles started passing away and my grandparents moved on. It was a strange, sad sensation. A sensation I keep feeling as I listen to Benji.

Mark Kozelek is a few years younger than my dad and the sudden increase in death is evident in Kozelek’s music. Benji is filled with death. Kozelek opens with “Carissa” and over a slow guitar he remembers his 2nd cousin who died in a freak accident; an aerosol can exploded while she was taking out the trash. It’s the same way that Kozelek’s uncle went and “Carissa” is connected to “Truck Driver” where Kozelek’s Leonard Cohen dirge becomes a eulogy for his long dead uncle. Kozelek hasn’t necessarily seen more close ones pass away, but he tells their stories better than anyone. Yes Benji is filled with death, but to say its death obsessed would be the same as calling life death obsessed.

Kozelek isn’t happy that he has to be the one writing these songs. “Don’t like this gettin’ older stuff” he says on the grim “Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes.” The devastating “Pray for Newtown” has Kozelek rattling off all the mass shootings he can remember in his life. “CNN was promoting the Batman killer/His eyes were glazed like he was from Mars/Yesterday he was no one, today he was a star.” Over jarringly jaunty keyboard Kozelek sits down with “Jim Wise” who mercy killed his bedridden wife before he turned the gun on himself, only for it to jam. He’s on tour when he gets a call saying that an old guitar buddy of his has died and as he bounces from hotel to hotel he frets over his mother’s health. “My mother is 75/She’s the closest friend I’ve had in my life.”

“I Can’t Live Without My Mother’s Love” is a grand reminder that not everything on Benji is rooted in death. Kozelek gives a shout out to the lessons his dad has taught him on the country twang of “I Love My Dad” while simultaneously admonishing his father’s shenanigans. “My dad’s still fighting with his girlfriend/over his flirting with the girls at Panera bread,” he sighs later on the album. Two of most stunning moments on Benji are in league with Kozelek’s parental tributes; songs that don’t have death as the central theme. “I Watched the Film ‘The Song Remains the Same’” is over ten minutes long but passes like a dream. Beautifully watery guitars and Sigur Ros like voices back Kozelek as he uses the Zeppelin film as a tool to explore vivid memories. He punches a kid in middle school to the cheers of his classmates only to feel abysmal. “I was never a young schoolyard bully/And wherever you are, that poor kid, I’m so sorry.” “Dogs” is the other track that cuts frighteningly deep without being immersed in morality. “Dogs” might be the most emotionally raw song about sex written…ever. Kozelek treads through various encounters that he describes with impossible realism. He admits that he only almost got into a threesome due to everyone involved being “Drunk as skunks and high off Darvon,” he lets into sexual temptation and he loses his virginity while cheating on his girlfriend. “When you lose control and how good it feels to cum/…nobody’s right and nobody’s wrong,” he sums up.

Of course Kozelek returns to death. The terrifying “Richard Ramirez” uses the titular serial killer as a lens for Kozelek to unravel stories about his home town and a shocking realization during recording process of Benji. “The Saprano’s guy died at 51/That’s the same age as the guy coming to play drums!” Kozelek exclaims with shock. After “Richard Ramirez”’s dark Modest Mouse guitars end, the warm instrumentation of “Micheline” enters. Kozelek talks his Grandmother in the final verse with falsetto harmonies singing “My grammaw, my grammaw.” It could be hokey but as someone who recently lost a grandmother the slightly sappy vocals only encase memories in warmth. I’m still in denial about my Gram’s passing and Kozelek seems to know the feeling.    


What makes Benji strangely wonderful is how much detail is packed into the songs. Kozelek rambles off the mundane activities of a normal day on “Ben’s My Friend,” eating crab cakes, feeling disgusted with a restaurant “covered in sports bar shit,” and seeing part of a Postal Service concert (“Ben” is Ben Gibbard of The Postal Service). He talks about his aching back and wonders if he looks like a jackass before calling Ben and saying he’ll have to skip out on the “Backstage hi-five” but it’s fine since “Ben’s my friend and I know he gets it.” It’s a song made up of painstaking detail, like every other track here, but this meticulous process makes Kozelek’s music universal. No one in my family has died from an exploding aerosol can, but I do know how it feels to lose a family member that you wish you had known better. My mom never rubbed baking power on my foot to heal it, but I do know that I’ll bawl like a toddler when I lose my parents. The songs here don’t offer solace through hope, instead they act like an empathetic buoy. “I ain’t one to pray/But I’m one to sing and play,”Kozelek puts it. There aren’t any huge life lessons, no musings on god, just a set of stories that can resonate with anyone. 

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're tipping your under-experienced/ill-informed hand early on with this line: "Kozelek hasn’t necessarily seen more close ones pass away, but he tells their stories better than anyone."
    Or there's a chance a Big Detail slipped your mind.
    How long has Mark Kozelek been on your radar? Saying things like this makes you look a part of the sea debris getting deposited on the shore form the wave Pitchfork made for this album.
    Kozelek is a famously bitter, and occasionally darkly humorous, sad-sack (he professes himself in this album that he's been melancholy since his childhood), and that's not without good reason. His steadiest girlfriend, as of then and to this day, died of cancer at the young age of 35 in the year 2003. Her name? Katy. You've probably heard the RHP track "Katy Song." Yeah, that's about the same girl. Off the top of my head . . . "Summer Dress" & "Tonight the Sky," RHP & SKM tracks respectively, also use the deceased Katy as inspiration. Summer Dress while she was still living; Tonight the sky came a couple years after her death.
    That gaffe aside, I agree that this album is the fucking shit. Another accomplishment, right up there with "Rollercoaster," "Ghosts of the Great Highway," and "Down Colorful Hill."
    Best songs are: I Watched the Film, Carissa, & Micheline.
    Dogs is the worst song of the bunch. Call me a prude, and you may be right; but it's like, we get it Mark, you have Done Sex.
    I've been listening to this around the clock since it leaked, and I've already burned it to a CD.
    Album of the year, hands down. And it'll stay that way as far as I'm concerned. With great solo projects in 2013 featuring Desert Shore and the Album Leaf (the AL collab album is the greater of the two), it was only a matter of time until Mark stroke gold again. I'm fuckin happy he's getting popular approbation for the first time in what seems like forever. He always works so hard; there's something in the oven 24/7.
    (had to delete my initial post for a couple goofy errors concerning formatting and spelling and etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked the album so much man! And yeah I was aware of Katy (geez "Katy's song" is fantastic) I was just referencing that outside of Kozelek's constant melancholy I see him as an every man. The loss of Katy...I can't even begin to understand how devastating that must have been. And maybe I'm being weird but I was only referring amount of death seen in a life time...seems like Benji reminds me how many people around my life have died and I just ignore it. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's called Katy Song. no possessive.

    Considering the Death theme, this album came at an appropriate time in my life because my uncle died (not in a fire and not on his birthday) at the age of 54 the week before Benji dropped of a rare, debilitating disease. He was ready to die. Been ready. He was sick for 8 or so years.

    ReplyDelete